Poqui Poqui with Quesadillas Recipe
This Ilocos inspired dish is a combination of char grilled eggplant combined with onions and tomatoes, served with lots of cheese and chicken bit on a Tortilla.
Poqui poqui is a traditional Filipino dish originating from Ilocos, containing grilled eggplants that are first peeled, then chopped and sautéed with garlic, onions or shallots, and tomatoes.
- 2 pcs large eggplants
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes chopped into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole white onion, peeled and minced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup Knorr Chicken broth (dissolve ½ Knorr Chicken Cube in ¼ cup hot water)
- 5 pcs tortilla
- Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 kilogram chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- Begin by grilling the eggplants over stove top until charred and black. Transfer to a bowl and cover until moist and cool enough to peel the skin off. Don’t wash the eggplant because it will lose its chargrilled flavour. Once cool, peel of the skin and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Get a pan and get it nice and hot over medium heat. Pour some oil and throw in the garlic and onion. Sauté until the garlic is slightly brown and onions are translucent. Now, add the add tomatoes in and eggplant and sauté briefly.
- Pour the Knorr Chicken broth next. Using a fork mash all the ingredients together until soft before adding the lightly beaten eggs, stir until set.
- Season the mixture with Knorr Liquid Seasoning, salt and pepper for that extra punch of flavour. Set aside.
- For Chicken Breast: Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. You can either pan sear in hot oil or char grill over hot coals. Cut into cubes and set aside.
- Now, let’s assemble our dish. Get a non-stick sauté pan and heat one whole tortilla. Evenly layer the poqui poqui mixture on half of the tortilla then add at least 2 tbs. of grilled chicken breast cubes on the poqui poqui and sprinkle cheddar cheese over it.
- Fold the tortilla into half, toast until golden brown. Do the same for the other side. Poqui Poqui Quesadilla is best served with tomato salsa on the side. Here’s another dish where you can enjoy and bond with the family. It’s best shared with ones over game night, movie marathon day or just hanging out in the living room with the family.
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
- Suitable For Pregnancy
- Wheat Free