Sweet, Sour, and Savory Macaroni Salad Recipe
Who can resist a well-made macaroni salad loaded with only the good stuff? Filipinos of all ages are very fond of this particular salad, so much so that it makes a habitual appearance in any celebration, whether it be a baptism, a birthday party, or even a wedding reception. Christmas, including the many joyous days that come between it and New Year’s Day, is never complete without a big bowl of macaroni salad!
This liking for a seemingly simple salad is not by mere accident. There are many reasons to prove this salad’s worth: First, it’s so easy to make! It can be done in mere minutes without even breaking a sweat. Even the simplest chicken macaroni salad recipe can be prepared by a toddler with minimal supervision.
Second, it’s quite affordable to put together as well. Compared to other popular salads, this one only requires a few staples already sitting in your pantry. No need for a special trip to the specialty shop to score hard-to-find ingredients. And lastly, this salad offers infinite satisfaction that tickles all the senses. Taste, texture, color? Check, check, check!
- 200 grams uncooked salad macaroni
- 220 ml Lady's Choice mayonnaise
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 2 tbsps pineapple juice (from canned pineapple)
- 2 tbsps pickle relish
- 1 tbsp white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery stalks, small cubes
- 1/4 cup carrots, small cubes
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, small cubes
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits, drained well; reserve juice
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- fine salt and ground white pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Rinse under running water and drain well. Set aside.
- Combine Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise, sugar, pineapple juice, pickle relish, white onions, celery, and carrots in a bowl. Mix well until sugar has dissolved.
- Add in cooked macaroni, ham, cheese, pineapple tidbits and raisins. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Chill before serving.
If you want it sweetish, then add fresh fruits like diced apples or dried fruits like raisins. If the preference is on the sour side, then add-ins like pickles and pineapple chunks can do the trick. And if it’s savory that you’re looking for, protein like ham or shredded chicken and grated cheese can provide some umami. But, really, the best macaroni salad can balance out all these flavors in one masterpiece. That’s sweet, sour, and savory in every spoonful! And that’s it! Serve this salad as a side dish to any roast and grilled dish or as a substitute for rice when consuming crispy fried items. You can even simply have it as a snack with crackers or bread rolls. Isn’t it so easy to prepare a macaroni salad that perfectly balances sweet, sour, and savory flavors? Make it today!
- Nut Free