Mindanaoan Chicken Rice Binalot
This classic Mindanao dish uses the rich flavor of chicken infused with local spices combined with rice wrapped in banana leaves to add in more fresh flavors.
When using Banana leaf wraps, always make sure that you wash and dry the leaves well before using. Remove all white residue and dirty from the leaves, cut into shape required and set aside for use.
- 1 whole chicken quartered, cleaned
- 1 tsp black peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, peeled and miNced
- 1 thumb size ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 Knorr Chicken Cube
- Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- banana leaves for wrapping
- 1 1/2 kilos white rice (cooked)
- Begin by getting your stock pot nice and hot and place the quartered chicken in with a tablespoon of salt, bay leaf and peppercorn. Pour enough water to cover the chicken and bring this to a boil until the chicken is tender. Strain and set aside to cool.
- Shred and flake the chicken from the bones with the use of a fork or your fingers. Set this aside.
- Get another pan and make sure it’s nice and hot and throw in the onions and garlic. Cook this until the garlic is slightly brown and onions are translucent before adding the ginger. Cook until you can smell the lovely aroma from the vegetables.
- Throw in the chicken flakes and sauté briefly before adding the Knorr Chicken broth (1Knorr Chicken cube dissolved in 2 cups water) and soy sauce.
- For that umami flavour season with Knorr Liquid Seasoning, salt and pepper then set aside.
- Now this is the exciting part, on banana leaves, place a cup of steamed rice on top with half a cup of chicken mixture. Wrap this into a parcel form and then fold.
- Finally, you are done! These are now ready to be enjoyed by the whole family while on a picnic.
- NOTE: NO YIELD. NO PREP TIME/NO COOKING TIME