This Filipino classic dish uses the rich taste of beef combined with garlic and onions, served in the flavorful tomato sauce mixed with carrots and potatoes.
To get a tender and more flavorful beef, make sure that you sear and brown the meat properly and keep the heat at a medium-low setting when simmering to fully infuse the flavors into the beef.
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ kg. beef cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 pc onion,, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 pc. bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 2 pcs. Knorr Beef Cube
- 2 pcs. carrots, cut into large cubes
- 2 pcs. potatoes, cut into large cubes
- soy sauce to taste
- Let’s begin by getting our pan nice and hot over high heat. Pour some oil and fry the beef until brown then set this aside.
- In the same pot, throw in the onion and garlic, then add the tomato paste. Sauté until the vegetables give off a nice aroma and the tomato paste turns dark in color. Pour the tomato sauce next with the peppercorns, bay leaf, and water.
- Return the beef into the pan and let the sauce simmer until beef is fork tender.
- Now, throw in the Knorr Beef Cubes and bring the sauce to a boil before adding the carrots and potatoes. Just let this simmer until all ingredients are cooked. Don’t forget to taste and check if the dish needs to be adjusted. Otherwise, this dish is done! You can never have enough of Mechado at home! Make sure you’ve prepared enough rice for you will definitely eat more than usual.