Classic Beef Kaldereta
Beef Caldereta is a Spanish inspired dish mixing flavors of beef and thick tangy tomato sauce, topped with potatoes and carrots for added flavors and textures
Beef has a lot of healthy benefits. Beef is a good source of iron, zinc and B vitamins. Zinc helps boosts the immune system to combat bacteria and viruses.
- 1 kilogram beef kaldereta cut or shortribs
- 2 pcs onion, quartered
- water, enough to cover meat
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small can liver spread
- 1 (70 g) pack tomato paste
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 pc Knorr Beef Cube
- 4 pcs potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 pcs carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 pc green bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1 pc red bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives (optional)
- 1/2 cup quick-melt cheese, grated (optional)
- Begin by tenderizing the beef in water. Pour the water enough to cover the meat with the quartered onions. Simmer, covered, until beef is tender. Remove the scum that has formed on the surface. Once beef is tender, strain out from the broth and set aside beef and the broth.
- Get a pan and make it nice and hot over medium heat. Pour some oil and throw in the onions and garlic and sauté until light brown in color.
- Add in the tenderized beef and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in the liver spread, tomato paste and bay leaves. Mix well.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of the broth and Knorr Beef Cube. Simmer for 5 minutes before adding the potatoes and carrots. Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce has slightly thickened.
- Lastly, add bell peppers. You may also add the olives and cheese at this point, if desired. And that's it! Classic Beef Kaldereta is best enjoyed with the company of loved ones because something as good as this is best shared with family.