Pork Liempo Ramen Recipe
Create our delicious and easy to follow recipe for Pork Liempo Ramen made special with Knorr Pork Cubes. Prepare a perfect healthy meal for your family.
- For the stock
- 1/2 kilogram pork bones
- 1/2 kilogram chicken bones
- 2 pc grilled whole onions
- 4 stalks grilled leeks
- 6 to 8 cups water
- 1 piece Knorr pork cube, crushed
- For the Ajitsuke Tamago
- 3 eggs
- water, for boiling the eggs
- 4 tbsp Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp mirin
- For the Liempo
- ½ cup Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 3 stalks lemongrass (white part only), crushed
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- garlic powder (optional)
- ½ kilogram pork belly, sliced
- For the Ramen
- 200 grams ramen noodles
- water, for boiling the the ramen
- tare sauce
- ajitsuge tamago
- sesame seeds
- chopped spring onions
- To Make the Ajitsuke Tamago
- Let's start with the Tamago marinate. In a medium pot, combine the Knorr Liquid Seasoning, lemongrass, brown sugar, garlic, sake and mirin, and let it simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stain the marinate to remove the large particles and place the liquid in tall container to cool to room temperature.
- We can now prepare the Japanese style eggs. Fill a saucepan with water enough to fully cover the eggs and let it boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-high heat, then gently lower each eggs into the pot, be careful not to crack the shells.
- As soon as you lower the eggs, set the timer to 6 1/2 minutes, this makes the egg have the white set while the yolk is still a bit runny. The water should still be bubbling but not rolling boil.
- Once the time is up, remove the eggs from the pot and immediately place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and to cool down the egg. Place it in the bowl of ice water for at least 3 minutes.
- Place the peeled eggs in a large container then slowly add the marinate to cover the entire egg. Let the eggs marinate for at least 2 hours, but you can keep them in the marinate fo 8-12 hours for more flavor.
- Remove the eggs from the marinate and keep them in an air tight container for storing. The marinated eggs can last for 4 days in the chiller.
- To Make the Stock
- Get a large pot, add water and bring this to a boil. Add chicken bones and pork bones, and let it boil for at least 10 mins. Remove all scum from the surface.
- Drain the water and wash the bones with cold running water to remove all blood and remaining guts and dirt from the bones.
- In a large pot, add the cleaned bones, 8 cups of water, onions, leeks and crushed Knorr Pork Cubes, and bring this back to a boil. Gently scoop any scum that resurfaces in this second boiling procedure. Do not stir the broth to avoid making the broth cloudy.
- Lower the heat to simmer while still continuing to remove any scum. Continue to simmer the broth for 2 hours with the lid on.
- Strain the broth to remove all the big particles like bones and vegetable, and retain only the broth liquid.
- To Make the Liempo
- Let's now we can prepare the pork liempo. Get a medium pan, heat the oil over high heat, and sear the pork fat side down, until the liempo has a nice brown color.
- While waiting for the liempo to brown, in a medium size pot, prepare the liempo marinate, combine Knorr Liquid Seasoning, Mirin, sake, brown sugar, lemongrass and garlic. Add the seared liempo to the marinate, and let the mix boil. Remember to remove scum from the surface. Continue to simmer for 30 mins, or until the sauce thickens turning the liempo every now and then.
- Let the marinate pork liempo cool down before slicing. Keep some of the liempo thick sauce for the final ramen bowl.
- Heat griddle pan, remove meat from the marinade ( reserve the marinade). Grill meat until golden in color and grill marks appear on the meat surface, about 3 to 4 seconds each side, depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Put grilled meat in a pot and pour in stock. Let it simmer to extract the flavor of the grilled pork into the stock, about 10 to minutes or until ready to use the stock.
- Remove meat from the stock, and slice about 1 inch thick. Set aside
- To Make the Tare Sauce
- In a skillet, heat the reserved liempo marinade and simmer until the sauce is reduced in half. Set aside.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil and cook ramen noodles for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- We can now build our ramen. We start by cooking our ramen noodles in boiling water for 4 mins, then place in a bowl dividing it into 4 equal portions. In each bowl, add our liempo thick sauce, and cover the noodles with our ramen. Top with sliced liempo, Ajitsuke Tamago cut in half, chopped spring onion and sesame seeds."
- In a bowl, add about 2 tablespoons of the tare sauce then pour in the ramen stock until the bowl is half full.
- Fill the rest of the bowl with cooked ramen noodles.
- Top with pork slices and sliced egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onions. Serve.
For better flavor, you can store the cooked marinate liempo including the sauce in the chiller for 24 hours to give it more depth in flavor.