Tinolang Itim Recipe
This soup dish combines the deep flavors of beef infused with charred coconut, turmeric and ginger to give it a unique flavor served in a spiced beef broth.
LACKS PRODUCT DISPLAY
- 1 whole coconut meat (have it taken off the shell in big pieces, not shredded)
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 4 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup ginger, thinly sliced (julienned)
- 1 1/2 Kilos Beef shank, cut to serving pieces
- 1 whole onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp. red chili pepper, minced
- 1 pc Knorr Beef Cube
- Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Let’s begin by creating the charred meat from the coconut. Grill coconut meat over stove top until charred and black in color. Now, transfer this to a mixing bowl together with the turmeric, ginger and ½ portion of the lemon grass. Pound and mix until it forms a thick and heavy paste. Give this a nice seasoning of Knorr Liquid Seasoning and pepper to taste.
- Get a deep saucepan nice and hot over high heat. Pour some oil and sear the beef shanks on all sides until evenly brown or until they obtain a nice crust. Throw the onions and sauté until they are slightly translucent together with 1 tbsp of the coconut black paste mixture. Give this a good 6 minutes or until the beef absorbs the mixture.
- Pour 4 cups of water and add the remaining lemon grass and red chilli pepper before bringing it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and drop the Knorr Beef Cube and let it cook until the beef is tender. Remove the scum or the impurities that float on top of the soup. Give this another seasoning of Knorr Liquid Seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving plate then serve hot.
- Be more daring and try something out of your comfort zone. This Tinolang Itim recipe is extraordinary for so many reasons. So, serve this to your family and create fun memories together at the table.