Authentic Seafood Paella for Holiday Celebrations
Something about serving a generous platter of seafood paella makes a meal instantly festive. One glance at the mound of golden rice grains heaped with seafood can make mouths water. Scrape the bottom of the pan to get the crispy socarrat crust and squeeze lemon juice all over – it is an absolute showstopper. Yes, cooking authentic paella is a bit tedious. And with its list of premium ingredients, the dish can be pricey, too. But the result is nothing short of impressive. If you’re thinking of ways to show how much you care for your loved ones, look no further. Learn how to cook seafood paella for your next feast with this step-by-step guide.
- For the broth:
- 2 pcs Knorr Chicken Cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 2 (8-oz) bottles clam juice
- For the herb blend:
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- For the paella:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 kg white-flesh fish fillet, cleaned and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 kg jumbo shrimp (about 16 pcs), peeled and deveined with tails intact
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups uncooked arborio or any short-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 16 white clams
- 1 (7-oz) jar pimiento, drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Make the broth: Combine all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a simmer but do not boil. Keep warm over low heat.
- Make the herb blend: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Make the paella: Heat oil in a paellera or large skillet over medium flame. Sauté fish and shrimp for 1 minute; do not cook seafood through. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Sauté onion and bell pepper for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, paprika, red pepper, and garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute.
- Add warm broth, herb blend, and frozen peas. Bring to a boil, then cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gently nestle clams into the rice mixture. Cook for 5 minutes or until the clams open. Discard any unopened shells.
- Stir in seafood mixture. Arrange shrimp and pimiento slices on top of the rice. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and remove from heat. Cover with a clean towel and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve hot.