Pancit Palabok Recipe
Create our delicious and easy to follow recipe for Pancit Palabok. Made with our Knorr Pork and Shrimp Cubes to enhance the taste of this filipino comfort food.
Annatto (Achuete) is not only used to give color to dishes but it is also said to be good for diabetes, diarrhea, fevers, fluid retention, heartburn, malaria, and hepatitis. They also use it as an antioxidant and bowel cleanser.
- 400 g bihon
- water to cover
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp annatto seeds (achuete)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 pc Knorr Shrimp Cube
- 1 pc Knorr Pork Cube
- 1/4 kg shrimp, shelled and deveined (reserve shrimp heads for sauce base)
- fish sauce, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- calamansi, to serve
- Toppings (optional): chopped spring onions, crushed chicharon, tinapa flakes, fried tofu cubes
- First, begin by getting a pot and filling it with water. Over high heat, bring the water to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Drop in the bihon noodles and cook as you would cook pasta. Make sure the noodles are al dente. Discard the water and drain the noodles. Set aside.
- Next, make achuete oil by combining 2 tbsp oil and achuete seeds in a pan. When it starts to sizzle and the seeds turn dark, remove seeds and reserve the oil.
- In the same pan, throw in the garlic and sauté until brown. Add in the shrimp and the flour, and stir constantly to cook. Continue to cook until thick and you can smell the nutty aroma and the shrimp turns bright in color.
- Slowly pour in the water next with the shrimp heads. Now, bring to a boil then add the Knorr Shrimp Cube and Knorr Pork Cube.
- Remove the shrimp heads after simmering for 6-8 minutes, then season with fish sauce and pepper to make adjustments in flavour.
- Place the Bihon noodles in a platter and pour the sauce over. Top with your choice of topping and that’s our dish! No need to buy instant pancit, for this Pancit Palabok is easy to make. Have it over merienda or dinner or any meal time, it will truly satisfy!