Sweet and Sour Fish Recipe
Create our delicious and easy to follow recipe for Sweet and Sour Fish. This well loved Chinese dish has a balance of sweetness and tangy flavors.
How to make sure that the fish doesn't stick to the pan:
1. Make sure that your pan is hot enough. Use only Medium - High heat when searing
2. Pat dry your fish before searing. After cleaning the fish, you can use a paper towel to dry out the excess water from the fish.
3. Let it cook on one side well before moving it. Don't try to move it in the pan until it already time to turn.
- 1/2 kg white fish fillet or whole fish (Cream Dory, Maya-maya, Lapu-lapu, Tilapia, etc)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- canola oil for deep frying
- Optional: 1 pack enoki mushroom
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 4 pcs shallots, halved
- 1 small pc red bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1 small pc green bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tbsp banana ketchup
- 1 (115 g) pack pineapple tidbits
- 1 pc Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup water
- Optional: Serve with steamed Bok-Choi on the side
- First, we need to prepare the fish then second, the sauce. Begin by giving the fish and nice seasoning of salt and pepper. If using enoki mushrooms, season mushrooms as well.
- Next, prepare 2 bowls for the beaten egg and the other one is for the cornstarch. Dip the fish in the beaten egg then dredge in cornstarch. Prepare a shallow pot with oil and make it nice and hot over medium high heat. Fry the fish in hot oil until nicely browned. Remove and drain on top of a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside. Do this to the seasoned enoki mushrooms as well.
- For the sauce, get a pan and make it nice and hot over medium heat. Add oil, and sauté garlic and shallots until brown and aromatic.
- Toss in the cubed red and green bell pepper, add the banana ketchup, pineapple tidbits, Knorr Chicken Cube, white vinegar and sugar. And let it simmer for 5 mins. You can add the dissolved cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Continue to simmer until all ingredients are fully mixed together.
- You can now top the sauce to your fried fish to enjoy this delicious and heart healthy Sweet and Sour Fish. Best served with steamed Bok-Choi on the side.