Burgundy Beef Gratin Recipe
This French classic dish combines the rich and deep flavor of slow cooked beef mixed with mushrooms and carrots; topped with creamy potato gratin.
Braising is a cooking method that starts by searing the meat using a pan and followed by a slow cooking with liquids usually done in a slow cooker or oven. This cooking method makes meat tender and still retain its moisture.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 kilogram pearl onions
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 1 kilogram beef, top round, 2 inch cubes
- 1 spring parsley
- 1 pc bayleaf
- 4 pcs carrots, rolling dice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 pcs Knorr Beef Cube
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 1 pinch thyme
- 3 pieces potatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 cups all purpose cream
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Begin by getting a nice braising pan hot over medium high heat. Melt butter but make sure to add a bit of oil to prevent the butter from burning. Now, throw in the onions and mushrooms then sauté until soft and tender. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, gently sear the beef until brown on all sides then set this aside as well.
- Next, throw in the carrots, sauté for a few minutes before adding the flour. Stir well until the flour is cooked. Slowly add the water and Knorr Beef Cubes then simmer for a minute.
- Pour the wine, thyme, parsely, and bayleaf and simmer for another minute.
- Gently add the beef back into the pan and braise for 2 to 3 hours in a 350F oven or until the beef is tender.
- After 2 hours, place the onions and mushroom in and continue braising for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a medium pot, place the sliced potatoes in cold water and let it boil and cook until tender. Add cream, mozarella cheese, and cheddar cheese. Simmer until thick and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the potato cheese sauce on top of the braised beef and top with chopped parsley.