20-Min Sushi Bake With 5 Ingredients
Sushi bake went viral in the summer of 2020, especially among Filipinos. Like dalgona coffee and ube cheese pandesal from the same era, it was a source of instant comfort for everyone stuck at home. So much so that several local businesses started cropping up to serve the demand for this Japanese-inspired casserole. Years later, it's proven to be more than just a trend: It's now the go-to order of many sushi lovers.
This dish is a deconstructed sushi roll baked on a tray. It has layers of rice, mayo, and some meat or seafood, eaten with seaweed. It looks impressive, but it's uncomplicated to make at home. So, drop the takeout menu and try making it yourself!
Mix rice vinegar into your cooked rice to recreate authentic sushi rice. You can also dip it in soy sauce and wasabi for extra umami and spice.
- 2 cups warm cooked rice (Japanese, short-grain, or Dinorado)
- 1 cup Lady's Choice Real Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 1 cup chopped or shredded crabstick
- crispy seaweed
- Press rice in a medium square oven-proof dish. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine Lady's Choice Real Mayonnaise and soy sauce. Mix in crabsticks.
- Layer crab mixture over rice.
- Crumble some crispy seaweed over the crab mixture. Bake for 10-15 mins or until the top is lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then serve with crispy seaweed for wrapping.