Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe
No matter the weather, enjoy the comfort of a good chicken arroz caldo recipe. Learn to infuse the flavor of chicken with ginger and other aromatics.
The name of the dish is derived from Spanish "arroz"" (rice) and "caldo" (broth). Arroz Caldo is a specific type of Lugaw which uses a lot of ginger and chicken.
Arroz Caldo typically uses Malagkit rice, but you can still prepare this dish using regular rice just add more water in the recipe.
The yellowish color of the dish can be attained by adding Kasubha (safflower) to the dish. "
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 pc small -sized onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 200 grams cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup uncooked Malagkit rice, washed 2x and drained well
- 2 pcs Knorr chicken cubes
- 4 cups water
- Toppings: (optional)
- 1 pc boiled egg, sliced
- 1/4 cup spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fried dilis
- 1/4 cup thinly shredded dried seaweed sheets
- Begin by preparing a large pot that’s big enough to cook the rice. Turn up the heat, add oil and throw in the garlic and sauté until lightly toasted. Add the onions and ginger and continue sautéing.
- Add the shredded chicken breast. Toss the mixture and wait until you smell the lovely aroma from the cooked vegetables and chicken. At this stage, you can take out the large pieces of chicken and shred them to smaller pieces to release more flavour, and create a different texture to the dish.
- Add the Malagkit rice to the mix and sauté until rice is covered with oil. When the mixture begins to sizzle, pour the water and bring this to a boil before adding the Knorr Chicken Broth Cubes.
- Cook the malagkit rice slowly over low fire while stirring frequently to avoid the rice from clumping together.
- Topping your arroz caldo with fried garlic and spring onions does not only give it a lovely presentation but it also adds depth of flavour.
- Serve this hot in a big bowl. A small cup filled with patis and some calamansi in another plate are just some extra touches you can add to make this dish a favourite in the family.
- Chicken Arroz Caldo is best served with Lumpiang Togue.