This simple dish uses the flavors of fried chicken cutlets, mixed with sweet flavors of onions, scrambled eggs, topped with leeks and nori, served oven rice.
Kastudon is a popular Japanese dish, the term itself is derived from two Japanese words, "Tonkatsu" ("Ton" meaning pork, and "katsu" meaning cutlet) and "donburi" meaning large bowl.
- Chicken Katsudon
- 4 to 8 pcs chicken thigh fillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- oil, for deep frying
- chopped leeks, for garnish
- nori, for garnish
- pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- 2 pc white onion
- 2 pc egg, beaten
- Katsudon Sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, smashed
- ¼ cup sake
- 1 stalk leeks (white part only), sliced
- 1/4 Knorr chicken cube
- ½ cup Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- ½ cups water
- 2 tbsp mirin
- Dredge chicken fillets in flour, pressing lightly to for flour to adhere. Shake off excess flour.
- Dip the pieces in beaten egg, then roll in breadcrumbs.
- In a pan suitable for deep frying, heat oil over medium heat. Deep fry breaded chicken and cook about 2 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Drain chicken pieces in paper towels to remove excess oil. Set aside.
- For the sauce, in a medium pan, make it nice and hot over med - high heat, add oil then sauté onions and ginger until you can smell the great aroma.
- Add the water, sake, mirin, Knorr Chicken Cubes, Knorr Liquid seasoning, and continue to simmer the sauce until all is dissolved and well combined.
- Using another pan, add oil and sauté white onions until soft and brown. slice then add the fried chicken pieces on top of the caramelized onions. Add Katsudon sauce enough to cover the chicken pieces.
- Cover the chicken and the onions with the beaten eggs, continue to heat and wait until the egg have set.
- Serve chicken on top of steamed rice. Drizzle with a little more Katsudon Sauce. Garnish with leeks, spring onions, nori and pepper flakes, if desired.
- Katsudon Sauce
- in a medium pan, make it nice and hot over med - high heat, add oil then sauté onions and ginger until you can smell the great aroma.
- Pour in sake, then add in ginger and leeks.
- Add one-fourth of a Knorr Chicken Cube and keep stirrring until it dissolves properly.
- Add Knorr Liquid Seasoning, water and mirin.
- Simmer until sauce is reduce in half. Serve with fried chicken fillet.