Piyanggang Manok Recipe
This dish uses rich flavor of chicken combined with the unique flavor of charred coconut meat, mixed with flavorful spices of turmeric, ginger and lemongrass.
Piyanggang Chicken is a traditional Mindanao Tausug tribe dish that is traditionaaly stewed in a flavorful charred coconut sauce, then finished on the grill.
- For Black Coconut Mixture:
- 1 whole coconut meat (have it taken off the shell in big pieces not shredded)
- 4 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup ginger, thinly sliced (julienned)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- pepper to taste
- For Piyanggang Manok:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 stalk of lemon grass (bundled)
- 2 whole chickens, quartered
- 2 tbsp black coconut paste
- 4 cups water
- 1 can thick coconut milk
- 1 pc Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1 tbsp. red chili pepper, minced
- Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Let's start by preparing the Black Coconut Mixture. With the use of your gas stove, begin by grilling coconut meat directly unto the fire until it becomes charred and black. You can try to cook the coconut shells with meat, meat-side down over the flame until the meat is charred black. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using a spoon, scrape the coconut meat off its shell and place in a mixing bowl, combine together with the turmeric, ginger and lemongrass. Mix them well until it becomes thick and has a heavy paste like consistency. Drizzle with a few drops of Knorr Liquid Seasoning and pepper to flavour.
- Next, we can work on the Piyanggang Manok. Start by marinating the chicken with the black coconut mixture for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Get a large pan and make it nice and warm over high heat. Pour in a little bit of oil and sauté in the garlic and onion and cook this until the garlic turns slightly brown and onions are translucent. Pour at least 2 tbsp of the black coconut mixture, lemongrass and the quartered chicken then sauté these briefly.
- Pour 1/2 coconut milk then let this simmer before adding the water and Knorr Chicken Cube. Cook over low heat until the chicken is cooked through or tender. Pour the remaining coconut milk and red chili pepper before allowing it to simmer again.
- Flavour by adding Knorr Liquid Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- To achieve that smoky flavour and have a better texture, chicken may be grilled just before serving.
- This chicken is more enjoyable to eat especially when served hot. You will surely have a good time eating this with your family.
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
- Suitable For Pregnancy
- Wheat Free