Quick and Easy Pancit Malabon Recipe
Pancit, or traditional Filipino noodle dishes adopted from Chinese cuisine, is often distinguishable by the sauce, cooking method used, ingredients, or place it was created. It has several variation such as Pancit Bihon, Pancit Canton, and Pancit Guisado. But for festive occasions, an impressive Pancit Malabon recipe is sure to entice your guests to dig in.
Pancit Malabon has a distinct, yellow-orange sauce, and it usually comes in a bilao lined with banana leaves. Like many pancit varieties, Pancit Malabon graces a lot of celebrations. This thick noodle dish is considered top tier, as it has a thick sauce and many toppings. But don’t be intimidated. In fact, you can easily make your own Pancit Malabon the next time you’re throwing a party. Check out our recipe and some useful tips to help you.
- 400 g. thick rice noodles
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp annatto seeds (achuete)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 pc. Knorr Shrimp Cube
- 1 pc. Knorr Pork Cube
- ¼ kg. pork belly, sliced into strips
- ¼ kg. shrimp, shelled and deveined (reserve shrimp heads for sauce base)
- ¼ kg. squid, sliced into rings
- fish sauce, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped spring onions
- crushed chicharon
- Tinapa flakes
- Fried tofu cubes
- Slices of hard-boiled eggs
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions.
- Once cooked al dente, drain and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil and achuete to extract the color. Once seeds turn dark, remove them from the pan and discard. Set the achuete oil aside.
- Place a large pan on medium heat.
- Sauté garlic until brown.
- Reduce the heat and add in the flour, making sure to mix well until you get a thick paste.
- Add the shrimp heads and water and bring to a boil. Then, add Knorr Pork Cube and Knorr Shrimp Cube. Stir until the cubes are dissolved.
- Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes before taking out the shrimp heads.
- Next, place the shrimp, squid, and pork belly. Simmer until cooked.
- Taste and season if needed.
- Place the noodles into a serving dish. Pour the sauce over it and arrange the seafood and meat on top.
- Serve topped with crushed chicharon, tinapa flakes, spring onions, slices of hard-boiled eggs, and calamansi.
The best way to reheat Pancit Malabon is to microwave it for three to four minutes. Heating time will vary depending on your microwave’s temperature control. Reheating the noodles on the stovetop is not advisable because the noodles will stick to the pan. Impress your loved ones by following our easy Pancit Malabon recipe. You can even make it extra special by serving it together with pork BBQ, puto, and Lumpiang Shanghai. What are you waiting for? Whip up a feast with this delicious pancit dish.