Resto-Style Sweet and Sour Pork in 30 Minutes
Nothing beats the tummy-rumbling aroma that hits your nose as you enter a Chinese restaurant. You just know the food will be A+ even before glancing at the menu. And although everyone has their go-to order, sweet and sour pork is always a must. Who can resist these golden morsels soaked in that sticky reddish sauce?
But if you’re stuck at home and craving the Cantonese dish, give this sweet and sour pork recipe a go! You’ll be surprised by how easy this classic is to recreate! You’ll only need 30 minutes max – way quicker than having it delivered. That also means you won’t get soggy meat with a thinned-out sauce anymore.
Ready to learn how to cook sweet and sour pork?
- 500 g pork (liempo, kasim, or pigue), cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- canola oil, for deep-frying
- For the sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 4 pcs shallots, halved
- 1 pc small red bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1 pc small green bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tbsp banana ketchup
- 1 (115-g) pack pineapple tidbits
- 1 pc Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 cup water