How to Make an Ice Cream Sandwich from Scratch
Many Filipinos spend hot afternoons in the tropics waiting for the relief of a cool breeze and the telltale jingle of manong sorbetero’s bell as he approaches. Everyone swarms his colorful cart waiting for their turn to get a cone stacked with at least three different ice cream flavors. If you are lucky, you might spy a pack of buns that he uses to make a Pinoy version of an ice cream sandwich. History traces the ice cream sandwich to a New York vendor in the early 1900s. Like many great ideas, it has spawned numerous iterations since its invention. Ice cream cookies, for example, have become a standard for this dessert/snack. Are you ready to make your own ice cream sandwich? Read on for some cool new ideas.
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate, chips or chopped
- 4 cups Selecta Classic Super Thick Vanilla ice cream
- 2 1/4 cups chocolate, chopped and melted
- sprinkles to decorate
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, folding in the chocolate chips right after.
- Divide this mixture in two.
- Take an 8in x 8in square baking tin. Line it with wax paper or cling film, leaving a small overhang. In the pan, press half the cookie dough until base is fully covered.
- Remove the cookie dough and chill in the fridge.
- Repeat the process with the remaining half of the dough. Leave a larger cling film overhang this time.
- Scoop softened Selecta Classic Super Thick Vanilla ice cream. Use the back of the spoon or palette knife to smoothen, chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Add the other cookie square on top of the ice cream half. Press down gently and freeze the whole thing for at least 4 hours.
- Transfer the sandwich from the tin to a chopping board. Remove the film and use a hot blade to cut the sandwiches into 9 equal-sized squares.
- To decorate, take each sandwich and dip it into melted chocolate. Cover half and garnish with nuts, sprinkles, marshmallows, etc. Be quick when decorating since chocolate tends to set rapidly on the ice cream sandwich.
- Serve immediately or wrap securely in baking paper or cling film before returning to the freezer.
- Egg Free
- Nut Free