A Chicken Pastel Recipe to Serve at Reunions
Savory pies are not a huge part of Filipino cuisine, but there’s always room in there for chicken pastel! This classic dish features a hearty mix of chicken, chorizo, potatoes, carrots, and peas in a warm, creamy sauce. All of that is tucked under a golden, buttery, and flaky crust to make an awe-inspiring masterpiece. It’s the perfect potluck dish to bring to reunions if you want to show off your cooking skills. In reality, this chicken pastel recipe is effortless to cook. It requires minimal prep and zero technical baking skills. No need to make the crust yourself; just source pre-made puff pastry, and you’re good to go. Ready to learn how to cook chicken pastel?
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 pc chicken breast, diced
- 2 pcs chorizo, diced
- 1/2 pc carrot, diced
- 1 pc potato, diced
- 1 (33-g) Knorr Ginataang Gulay Recipe Mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup spinach (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose cream
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- 1 pack puff pastry, rolled into a ½-inch-thick sheet
- Heat oil in a pot. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add chicken and chorizo. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add carrot and potatoes. Sauté for another minute. Add dissolved Knorr Ginataang Gulay Recipe Mix.
- Add green peas, oregano, and spinach, if using. Simmer until sauce is thick.
- Lower heat, then pour in cream. Stir well to avoid curdling.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish. Brush edges of the dish with beaten egg. Cover with rolled puff pastry and seal edges using a fork. Brush dough with remaining egg.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.