Whole Fried Chicken
This simple dish uses the rich taste of chicken infused with Knorr Liquid seasoning flavors, covered in batter and breadcrumbs, fried and baked to perfection.
To check for doneness, the safe internal cooking temperature for chicken should be at 165 ºF internal temp. Use a thermometer to check the thickest part of the chicken and avoid the bones to get an accurate reading.
- 1 small chicken (1-1.5 kilogram)
- 2-3 tablespoons Knorr SavorRich chicken seasoning
- For the batter:
- 200 grams plain flour
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200 ml of water
- To assemble:
- 200 grams plain flour
- 200 grams breadcrumbs, ground very fine
- 2- 4 litres oil
- Special Equipment:
- Large deep cooking pot
- Heavy duty slotted spoon
- Oven tray with a wire rack
- Put the chicken in a large dish and rub 2 tablespoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning all over it. Cover it with clingwrap and put it into the fridge for 1 hour.
- Put the flour and eggs and salt into a large mixing bowl and beat together. Gradually whisk in the water, to make a smooth batter.
- Prepare 2 more large mixing bowls. One containing another 200 grams of flour, and the third containing the finely ground breadcrumbs.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and put it in the bowl of flour. Spoon flour over it so it’s well covered, making sure to get in all of the nooks and crannies, then tap off the excess and put the chicken into the batter bowl. Spoon batter all over it, making sure it’s fully covered, then lift it out with tongs or two large forks and let the excess run off into the bowl. Once the batter has stopped running off, put the chicken into the bowl with breadcrumbs. Spoon bread crumbs all over it, turning it around in the bowl if you need to, to make sure it’s fully covered.
- Then sit the chicken on a clean plate and put it into the freezer for 1 hour, while you heat the oil.
- Fill a very large saucepan just half full of oil. The chicken needs to be fully submerged in the oil all at once, and you shouldn’t let the oil to come much more than halfway up the insides if the pan while cooking it. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- When the chicken has been in the freezer for one hour, and the oil has reached 180C, use tongs and a large slotted spoon to carefully lower the chicken into the hot oil. The chicken should be fully submerged in the hot oil. If it isn’t, use a heat-proof ladle to carefully spoon oil over the top of it to ensure it gets a nice even brown color all over.
- Fry until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 10 minutes, and then carefully lift the chicken out of the oil and put it into an oven tray with a wire rack inside. Now put the chicken into the hot oven for 1 hour, or until the meat is fully cooked through.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes after removing from the oven - then serve!